We all love vacation! It’s one of the highlights of the year, but the long car trips and airport lines that get us where we’re going are not as highly regarded. Skip the fuss! Have your cake and eat it too. Let us help you get in the groove and plan the ultimate staycation picnic to refresh, relax, recharge and revel in the moment.
Get Prepped Now So You Can Relax Later
Planning a great staycation is all about prep work. Once you’re organized with a plan and all of the essentials, all that’s left to do is enjoy yourself and grab a craft brew! Simple steps like getting some disposable serveware, doing housework ahead of time and going shopping in advance will help you enjoy your time off without worrying about chores and responsibilities. Just don’t skimp on the glassware—after all, your libation will taste better in the right vessel.
Shop a day or two before your staycation starts. That way the work’s done and the food’s still fresh. It’s your holiday so be sure to treat yourself. Grab your favorite craft beers and extras for anyone who might be coming over. Now’s the time to try something new—treat the opportunity just like you would abroad. Maybe it’s time to explore a particular region’s beer or do head-to-head comparisons of your favorite style. There’s nothing like an ice cold brew on a summer day, and the entire staycation menu below is designed with beer-lovers in mind.
One of the great things about vacation is trying new restaurants and regional specialties, so any staycation worth its salt must have a proper menu in place. We’ve compiled the ultimate staycation menu (with beer pairings included!) to help guide you in celebrating the time off you deserve.
Get seasonal with these summertime specialties and our tips and tricks:
The Ultimate Staycation Menu
- Tortilla Chips and Guacamole (pair with a wheat beer)
- Gazpacho (recipe below) and a Garden Salad (pair with a seasonal summer beer)
- Grilled Marinated Chicken and Grilled Corn on the Cob (pair with an IPA)
- Fresh Peaches and Goat Cheese (pair with a craft cider or fruit beer)
Tips and Tricks
- Pick the right glass for your beers. See our recommendations!
- Don’t like guacamole? Try a fruit salsa, cheese dip or hummus instead.
- Grilled tofu can easily substitute chicken for vegetarians.
- Sub your favorite fruit for the peaches, or try yogurt or whipped cream instead of the cheese.
Low stress and low maintenance is the way to go. Keep it simple so you can focus on kicking your feet up. Make-ahead dishes and simple items to throw on the grill leave more time for sips on the patio. Maybe there’s a couple of books to-be-read calling your name or a lawnchair in a sunny spot that you really need to hold down (so it doesn’t go anywhere). Whether you’re playing with the kids or grabbing some much-needed alone time, easy eats will satisfy your hunger and your palate, so you can spend more time having fun and less time in the kitchen.
Gazpacho is a summertime favorite that is cooling, refreshing, and downright tasty. Not only is it super versatile, but it’s simple to throw together and only tastes better with time in the fridge! Get out to your favorite market or farmstand for fresh summer veggies to throw in and you’ll be eating in vacation-style splendor in no time. We snagged this spot-on recipe of the classic Andalusian dish from the website of one of our favorite cookbook authors.
- 4 cups tomato juice
- ½ cup finely minced onion
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium bell pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon light honey or sugar
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled, seeded, minced)
- 2 scallions, minced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced fresh, ripe tomatoes (peeled, seeded)
- Salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
- Purée all ingredients in blender.
- Chill overnight.
- Serve cold.
Recommended Glassware for the Savvy Staycationer
- Birrateque Wheat for wheat beers
- Birrateque Seasonal for seasonal summer beers
- Birrateque IPA for bold IPA styles
- Birrateque Cider for delicious craft ciders
The entire Birrateque Collection is dishwasher safe and made with our proprietary SON.hyx for superior strength and clarity. Like all Luigi Bormioli products made with SON.hyx, it carries a 25-Year Guarantee that guards against chipping on the rim, as well as discoloration or cloudiness resulting from washing. Did we mention that Birrateque was crafted in conjunction with the distinguished Italian Centro Studi Assaggiatori? These unique glasses also feature a Foam Control System (FSC) to maintain a steady stream of effervescence, so that your staycation brew keeps that “just-poured” head.
That’s it! Great food, drink and times await you! Take some time off and enjoy yourself with these expert tips on how to have the Ultimate Staycation Picnic.
At Luigi Bormioli, we take pride in our Italian-crafted, superior quality glassware. Your glasses, created using our proprietary SON.hyx ultra-clear formula, will retain their brilliant and transparent appearance and are backed by our 25-year guarantee that guards against chipping on the rim or foot, as well as discoloration or cloudiness resulting from washing. You will enjoy their beauty, durability and strength for many years to come. We aim to enhance your tabletop lifestyle and entertaining experience with a glass for every occasion. When the moment matters, the glass matters.